7/18/11

Parts Unknown #67: Money in the Bank


I don't need pros and cons for this one.

MITB Smackdown Ladder Match ~ Sick. Absolutely sick. You could call this an impetuous spotfest, and you would be right, but did you see those fucking spots? My jaw dropped when Sheamus powerbombed Sin Cara through a ladder. Sure, the ladder came pre-broken, but goddamn. I was expecting them to tease a spot like that for several minutes. I'm glad they didn't. Justin Gabriel's 450 splash was sweet. I appreciate the fact that they acknowledged The Corre, but nothing can be done to get Slater and Gabriel over. They are more boring than a tuna sandwich. On rye!

I understand that the Internet is buzzing over the main event, as it should be. But I can't believe that Daniel Bryan's victory has loitered under the radar. I mean, who saw that coming? I can see The American Dragon holding onto his briefcase for the better part of a year. This is going to be a fun ride.

Kelly Kelly vs. Brie Bella ~ For a bathroom break, this wasn't a bad match. As much as Kelly has improved over the years, I don't see her ever becoming a bona fide legend. She's popular enough. She's attractive enough. She's cutesy/slutty enough. And yet, she has a long way to go. She needs to develop her character and add psychology to her matches. The Bella twins? A lost cause.

The Big Show vs. Mark Henry ~ This match exceeded my expectations. Both giants went above and beyond the call of duty. Henry didn't have to leave his feet, but he did. Show didn't have to climb the ropes, but he did. Thankfully, the right man was triumphant. I dug the post-match beatdown. I'm curious to see where The World's Strongest Man goes from here. Personally, I would book him to square off against Ezekiel Jackson for the Intercontinental Championship at Summerslam. Give him the title reign that he has earned.

MITB Raw Ladder Match ~ Not quite as spectacular as the Smackdown ladder match, but impressive nonetheless. It was actually more emotional than its blue-tinted counterpart. The Miz is a fucking trooper. His knee was noticeably jacked up, but hopping down the entrance ramp added a nice layer to an already exciting broil. It also made sense from a character standpoint. I was hoping that R-Truth would claim the red briefcase, but I can't complain about Alberto Del Rio emerging as the top dog.

Christian vs. Randy Orton ~ Honestly, I haven't cared about this feud for awhile now. It was a solid match. Nothing more, nothing less. Orton needs to snap more often. I enjoy Christian as a slimy douchebag, so I'm glad that he won. Not much else to say.

CM (motherfucking) Punk vs. John Cena ~ This match proved that storytelling is more important than technical proficiency. There were botches all over the place, but it didn't matter. This was epic. Cena isn't getting enough credit for his performance. He played the heel beautifully. I loved how he warmed up in the corner with boxing moves. It may seem trivial, but it added to the "big fight" feel of the main event. The atmosphere was purple hot. We all anticipated a screwjob finish, but they executed a clever swerve that keeps Cena in the "babyface" camp. What can I say? Match of the year candidate.

This was the best WWE PPV in a long, LONG time. I can't wait for Raw.

No comments:

Post a Comment