5/29/11

Acid Bath - PAEGAN TERRORISM TACTICS


I just realized something. Acid Bath was a tornado. Hear me out. As the recent twister outbreaks have shown, funnel clouds can cause monumental damage in a short amount of time. I should know; I was in one. Despite being a child when a tornado dismantled my great grandfather's house, I distinctly remember the way that time outwitted me during all of the blusterous bedlam. It only took a few seconds for nature to obliterate the brick and mortar that sheltered us, but it felt like hours. I never heard from that storm cell again. Has this analogy become painfully obvious yet?

Acid Bath released two albums in the 90's. They broke up when bassist Audie Pitre died in an auto accident, and aside from a posthumous demo compilation, they haven't made a peep since. Metalheads practically deify both recordings. To say that they have a cult following would be an understatement. But unlike every other band that has dissolved at one point or another, Acid Bath has never staged a reunion. This is only speculation on my part, but I don't believe that the remaining members have even entertained the thought of getting back together. 'Tis a shame.

What kind of music did these psychopathic Southerners play? They didn't confine themselves to one style. Paegan Terrorism Tactics is just as diverse as its predecessor. If you decide to sample this album online, you're going to hear clods of sludge, black metal, hard rock, punk-tinged crust (or crust-tinged punk) and a bated whiff of grunge. You'll also hear a couple of acoustic ballads. Vocalist Dax Riggs is up to the challenge of singing over a myriad of subgenres. He screams when he needs to, he croons when he needs to and he talks when he needs to. Yes, he talks. "Old Skin" is a spoken word piece that will give your nightmares nightmares. I wonder what dreams dream about...

Moving on! Most fans prefer 1994's When the Kite String Pops. I concede that it's a stunning debut, but it lacks the mature songwriting of Paegan Terrorism Tactics. There is more melody here. Still, we get heavy, demonic tracks in the form of "13 Fingers" and "New Corpse." "Diab Soule" makes me want to sodomize an orphan with a power drill. "Graveflower" is restrained, yet forcibly somber. It's probably my favorite Acid Bath song, which is ironic, seeing as how it was my introduction to the band. If you haven't been introduced to this Cajun outfit, now is your chance. Well, you can check them out later if you want, but why put it off? You have nothing better to do.

1 comment: