1/8/11

Parts Unknown #24: Smackdown


Was that an episode of Smackdown or a PPV? I'm not exaggerating when I say that this was the best Smackdown that I've seen since the show debuted in 1999. It was exciting, unpredictable and chalked full of great wrestling.

PROS

~ Some are calling the opening bout between Edge and Kane an early contender for Match of the Year. I won't go that far (it's January, for Christ's sake), but I will say that it was staged exceptionally well. For a "last man standing" match, it was reasonably suspenseful. Both men sold like champs.

~ Kofi Kingston is the new Intercontinental Champion! His match with Dolph Ziggler didn't need to be a 20-minute epic to be entertaining. The flying crossbody that sealed the deal was flawless. It was an ingenious idea to have Vickie Guerrero order a rematch only moments after the title changed hands. This was a brilliant way to prod Ziggler into the main event without compromising Kofi's current push.

~ The Fatal Four Way match to determine the number one contender for Edge's World Heavyweight Championship. I liked the fact that The Big Show dominated early on. It made the match seem realistic.

~ The Diva's match was throwaway material, but I have to give credit to Kelly Kelly. She has managed to work a couple of impressive moves into her most recent match-ups. Drew McIntyre's imminent face turn is going to add interesting dimensions to his character. I know that many die-hard fans are opposed to a lovey-dovey McIntyre, but I believe that he can pull it off. At least the writers are doing something with him. FACTOID: Drew's storyline with Kelly Kelly was originally suppose to involve Tiffany, Drew's real life wife.

~ The showdown between Rey Mysterio and Alberto Del Rio. These guys work together seamlessly. The Mexican J.B.L. brings out the best in Mysterio. Those who know me can attest to my resentment towards Rey-Rey, but I applaud him for performing with such gusto despite a nagging injury.

CONS

~ No Chavo? He was a hit last week.

Aside from one piddling foible, this episode of Smackdown was incredible. It was better than most of the PPV's from last year! Sad, but true. Man, WWE's product kicks ass when Vince gets it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment