1/6/11

Gog


Gog is a sci-fi bender that concerns itself with themes that don't hit home in 2010. In 1954, however, it was all too real for viewers who lived in fear of being nuked by Russians. The plot follows David, a government official sent to an underground research facility to probe what are thought to be hints of espionage. He is given a tour of the four-tiered structure, and while being led around the compound by his main squeeze, he is introduced to two robots. They are named Gog and Magog (I'll give you an order of Wendy's fries if you can pinpoint the biblical reference).

You can see where this is going, can't you? Eventually, the robots attack the humans, but for the life of me, I can't understand why this flick is called Gog. The robots represent one vessel through which characters are dispatched, but there are many others. In fact, the most memorable death sequence doesn't involve Gog or Magog. It occurs during the opening scene where two people are frozen in a climate chamber. Basically, the underground facility has a mind of its own (think 2001, only below the surface).

When compared to other sci-fi classics from this period, Gog doesn't shimmer like a beacon reflecting off of churning waters. It does sparkle like a fiber optic novelty item you might find at Spencer's, though. In other words, I like it. It's a talky, intriguing b-movie with an intelligent script. The way that it took its time exploring its setting reminded me of Forbidden Planet. But Gog (the robot itself) is no Robbie the Robot. It looks cool, but it never seems threatening. Both Gog and Magog are supposed to be scary machines, but they're nothing that a flamethrower can't handle.

The ending is a little out there. I wasn't satisfied with the explanation that I was given. Still, I had fun with Gog. I prefer The Magnetic Monster, which was released a year earlier and directed by the same guy, one Herbert L. Strock. For whatever reason, neither film is on DVD. I'm not sure who owns the rights to these fine genre noodles, but they can suck my balls. By the way, I just named my testicles Gog and Magog.

No comments:

Post a Comment