3/2/11

I never disrobe before a gunfight...


Why can't all b-movies have big budgets? That's the question that I asked myself as I left the theater a couple of hours ago. Drive Angry is the kind of movie that Blue Underground would release. Needless to say, I loved it. It felt like a cross between The Devil's Rejects and Lord of Illusions. To be more specific, this is the film that Rob Zombie wishes he could make. Admittedly, Rejects was a first-class exploitation film, but it would seem more impressive if I didn't know that Zombie was a one-note filmmaker. Patrick Lussier is the real deal. Ironic, seeing as how he is attached to Halloween III.

Drive Angry delivers hot chicks (Amber Heard is unreal), muscle cars, brutal violence, one-liners and Nicolas Cage all without insulting the intelligence of genre fans by winking at the camera. I need to hammer that last point home because it's so important. I'm sick and tired of throwback features that try to earn cool points by referencing Italian zombie flicks and tossing as many cult actors into the fray as possible. Drive Angry doesn't need a Sid Haig cameo to be badass. It doesn't need Danny Trejo or Bill Moseley. It doesn't need Pam Grier or...well, you get my point. This film proves that you don't have to try to earn cool points if you're already cool.

Oh, the 3D is a riot. It's a shame that this fucker tanked at the box office.

No comments:

Post a Comment