3/5/11

Parts Unknown #37: Smackdown


Much like Raw, this week's Smackdown featured less wrestling than usual. Unlike Raw, it actually needed more wrestling. That's something I never say about Smackdown. Sigh. Let's see what happened...

PROS

~ The Edge/Drew McIntyre match. The Chosen One did a great job of working Edge's injured arm. I loved the finish. Edge's spear came out of nowhere. I can't be the only one who is sick of The Rated R Superstar's habit of "hulking up" in the corner, can I? I didn't think so. After the spear, he pulled out a new submission hold to pick up the win. Nice.

~ Cody Rhodes has done wonders to get his character over. I don't know who is responsible for spurring this change, but when you couple that with Cody's mic skills, you're going to get one hell of a promo.

~ The tag team match was...okay-ish? Personally, I would give the belts back to Koztino. I have nothing against The Corre, but no one gives a shit about them. Why is this in the "pros" section? Because Santino rules the planet.

~ The Undertaker's promo was the highlight of the show. I'm digging the attenuate tweaks that Mr. Calaway is making to the best gimmick in professional wrestling. He's a little more humanistic, but he's still an undead badass. You need to watch this segment for yourself if you haven't already.

CONS

~ Did they really have to toss Rosa Mendes into Beth Pheonix's match against LayCool? To be blunt, she sucks (sexy as piss, though). Why couldn't it have been a singles match? Beth doesn't need any help. Awesome Kong can't get here soon enough.

~ I was looking forward to the gargantuan bout between Kane and Big Show, but it lasted one minute thanks to The (fucking) Corre. I was reminded of Summerslam when the opening contest (for the Intercontinental Championship) was interrupted by The Nexus. Bullshit.

~ I missed the 30-second (!) match between Jack Swagger and JTG. Was that really necessary?

~ They have absolutely got to stop re-airing half of Raw during Smackdown. They might as well insert a title card that reads, "Go use the bathroom."

~ No Kofi Kingston? Jesus, just obliterate the IC belt.

Obviously, I wasn't too happy with this episode, a few choice promos notwithstanding. Let's hope that we get more wrestling next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment